The Role of the Chair
The Search Committee Chair has the overall responsibility for managing a proactive, timely, inclusive and fair search process. The Chair assumes the responsibilities of a member as well as the following:
- Promotes a collegial working relationship among the committee members
- Actively involves committee members to help recruit a broad base of candidates
- Establishes the search process and ground rules
- Calls and chairs meetings
- Ensures proper records and meeting minutes are kept
- Leads the committee in all phases of the work including establishing evaluation criteria, advertisement, recruitment strategy and a proactive search; the Search Committee Tools can help with this process
- Ensures consistency and fairness during the process
- In the case that a junior faculty member is appointed chair, he/she may consider working with a co-chair.
Manages communication with the dean, department chair and department faculty members who are not on the search committee.