Forming the Search Committee
The composition of a search committee and the charge to the committee from the dean or department chair are likely to have significant effect on the outcome of the search, and should be addressed early in the process.
- The committee should consist of at least three members, including the chair.
- It should be diverse in gender and race/ethnicity, bringing different perspectives, expertise, and backgrounds to the process.
- The inclusion of women and members of underrepresented groups from other departments or administrative units is acceptable.
- For those searches where appointment of a diverse search committee is not possible, the hiring official should appoint one of the search committee members to serve as the Equity Coordinator.
- Departments in the College of Arts & Sciences should consult with their Equity Advisor or Debra Mincarelli, Arts and Sciences Director of Human Resources.